Beginning with the 2017-2018 school year, children must turn age five on or before August 1 in order to enroll in kindergarten (KRS 158.031). In accordance with the law and Board of Education policy, the following procedures are in place for consideration for early entrance for those children who have mastered kindergarten readiness standards. It is important to note that young children develop at different rates and very few children are ready to begin school early.
Request for Early Entrance
Parents/guardians may request the Board to allow their child to enter school earlier than permitted under statutory age requirements. This request must include:
1. Completed Early Entrance Request Form or a written request to consider early entrance into kindergarten.
2. A copy of the child’s birth certificate.
3. Proof of residence within Covington Independent Public School attendance boundaries.
Criteria for Early Entrance
After the paperwork above is submitted, school district staff will conduct an evaluation to help determine the child’s readiness to engage in and benefit from early entry to school. Criteria for early entrance include:
1. A score at or above the 95th percentile on Brigance Early Childhood Screen III (K-1) assessment.
2. Dynamic Indicators of Basic Early Literacy (DIBELS) performing at or above local grade level norms;
3. Parent/guardian interview and/or academic, social/behavioral skills rating scales.
4. Considerations may also include availability of space and funding.
Results will be reviewed by a team including the receiving School Principal, the Elementary Director, and the Superintendent’s designee. Parents/guardians will be notified of the results within 10 working days of the assessment date.
Early Entrance Request Form
Early Entrance Screening Consent Form
Spanish Early Entrance Request Form
Spanish Early Entrance Parent Letter
Spanish Early Entrance Screening Consent Form