Covington Schools COVID-19 Communications
January 25, 2022
Kentucky has released new guidance for schools amid the omicron surge. The following is what it means for Covington Independent Public Schools.
- Contact tracing will no longer occur in the school setting, in most cases, while universal masking is in place.
- It is required by the state to report a positive case to the school immediately.
- The school nurse will require a copy of the positive test result to cover attendance due to quarantine.
- Positive home tests must be confirmed by a rapid or PCR test performed by a lab.
- Athletes who test positive must contact the athletic trainer for guidance on return to play.
- The booster dose (when eligible) is now required for any staff or student aged 18 and up to be exempt from a quarantine following an exposure outside of school.
- Students aged 17 and under are not required to have their booster dose to be exempt from a quarantine following an exposure outside of school.
- All vaccinated students are encouraged to submit a copy of their vaccination record to the school nurse.
- An updated protocol flowchart will be posted on our website.
- The dashboard will still be available on the website.
- Should you need assistance finding a location for a COVID test or a COVID vaccine, please contact your school nurse. COVID tests are available daily in the district through the School-Based Health Center.
- These new protocols go into effect on Wednesday, January 26, 2022. Any quarantines that were initiated before this date should follow the dates they were given. Any quarantine initiated on January 26 or after will follow the new guidelines.
January 7, 2022
As you may know, the safety of our students and staff is a priority of Covington Independent Public Schools. Therefore, the district has decided to remain closed to in-person instruction next week due to the high number of COVID-19 related illness. Monday, January 10, 2022, will be a teacher/staff workday. Students will not report. The district has opted to use NTI (non-traditional instruction, or remote learning) days Tuesday – Friday, January 11-14, 2022. Monday, January 17, 2022 is a holiday. As of now, students are expected to return to in-person classes on Tuesday, January 18.
During NTI, students will receive and are expected to complete assignments from their teachers. Parents also will receive information from the middle and elementary schools regarding when to come to school to pick up mobile devices for student use.
Meals will be available for pick up Tuesday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 11 a.m., at all the elementary schools and Holmes High School cafeterias
James E Biggs parents can pick up from any location. Middle school parents may pick up meals at the high school.
Meals will be sent to TLC for the students who live on campus.
The district will send a bus to City Heights on Tuesday from 10:30 - 11 a.m. and provide meals for the week.
For updates, please monitor the district’s website, covington.kyschools.us and Facebook pages. The district also will reach parents via telephone when there is any additional information. We are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause. We thank you for your understanding as we are once again facing uncharted territory with this virus.
If you should have any questions, please contact your child’s school.
Alvin L. Garrison
Reopening Plan 2021-22
Covington Independent Public Schools looks forward to the start of the new school year on August 19, 2021. Team Covington is committed to in-person instruction, five days a week for the 2021-22 school year. The team developed this plan with our guiding principle at the forefront: The safety and well-being of our students, staff, families and community will always be our top priority.
As we venture into another school year with COVID-19, we wanted to address some common questions and concerns regarding the upcoming school year. Please note: our reopening plan is a living document and is subject to change throughout the school year. We will update this document as needed. Teaching and Learning Team Covington believes that in-person learning is crucial to the academic, social and emotional wellbeing of our students. To that end, we will offer in-person classes five days a week to all students in K-12. Preschool students will attend in-person classes their regular four days a week.
However, we know that some families will consider a virtual option for their children. Families can select the Bulldog Virtual Academy for students in grades 6-12. This program is completely online. Families can apply and find more information online at www.covington.kyschools.us. The deadline to apply is August 9, 2021. Health and Safety Expectations As stated above, the safety and well-being of our students, staff, families and community will always be our top priority. Covington will use the following layered prevention strategies: Out of an abundance of caution, Team Covington requires that all K-12 students and staff wear masks in our buildings throughout the day regardless of vaccination status. This could change depending on state and local recommendations. To read the entire plan, please click here.
COVID-19 Response Chart
Reopening Plan - August 2021 - English
Reopening Plan - August 2021 - Spanish
August 2021 - MASK MANDATE - See Reopening Plan
June 16, 2021 - Masks update
May 6, 2021 - Update on wearing masks outside
April 6, 2021 - Returning to school four days a week
March 12, 2021 Parent Letter - explaining some grade levels return four days a week
February 17, 2021 Parent Letter - explaining return on February 22
January 29, 2021 Parent Letter - explaining return on February 22
September 21, 2020 Parent Letter - explaining return to school
July 24, 2020 Parent Letter - explaining the soft launch
July 24, 2020 Parent Letter - explaining remote learning
Remote Learning Application Form
Guidance on Safety Expectations and Practices for Kentucky Schools (K-12)
- as of June 2020
Interim Commissioner Kevin C. Brown’s June 26 letter to families
June 17, 2020 Parent Letter - Healthy at School task force
March 12, 2020 Parent Letter COVID-19 NTI update English
March 12, 2020 Parent Letter COVID-19 NTI update Spanish
March 12, 2020 Letter Announcing Closure
March 13, 2020 NTI Days Parent Letter - English
March 13, 2020 NTI Days Parent Letter - Spanish